Early Career Development Award
- Created to facilitate career development
- An opportunity for new educators to learn and share teaching techniques, skills and innovations
- Opportunity to network and obtain mentoring
- Number: maximum of 8
The purpose of the Early Career Development Award is to recognize promising junior faculty. This program provides an opportunity for new educators to learn and share teaching techniques, skills and innovations to establish linkages with other experienced educators at the AAP, and to network with other junior faculty from across the country. Awardees will be given a $200 honorarium.
Eligibility: Any full or part-time psychiatry faculty member at the instructor or assistant professor level may be nominated by the chair or the chair's designee. He or she should have significant teaching responsibility and show interest in and potential for a continuing academic career.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Quality and breadth of teaching
- Educational endeavors including administrative responsibilities, curriculum innovations and presentations at meetings
- Awards/recognition of teaching
The intent of this award is to identify new faculty who will be able to use the resources of AAP to further their academic careers.
- Maximum of one nomination per training institution
- Nominee must be an AAP member
- Chair's (or designee's) nomination letter
- Candidates must submit a personal statement describing their academic activities and interests and why they feel this award will assist their careers
- Current curriculum vitae
- Two additional letters of support by students, residents, peers, senior faculty, etc are required. Each supporting letter and document should be no longer than two pages. Summaries of teaching evaluations may be included.
Thank you for your interest. Submissions for the 2023 Early Career Development Award are NOW OPEN! Please click here for the 2023 AAP Abstracts & Awards Submissions site. Please log in or create an account then click GO TO MY SUBMISSION DASHBOARD. At the bottom of the page you will see the box SUBMIT AAP AWARDS. Go to the AAP Awards drop down box and select the Early Career Development Award. Complete and submit the award by clicking the orange SUBMIT EARLY CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARD at top of the page. YOU MUST CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUBMIT or it will only be saved. Applications for the 2023 Early Career Development Award will be accepted until April 1, 2023.
For further inquiries, contact Shaheen Darani, MD, Career Development Committee Chair, at Shaheen.Darani@camh.ca