Psychiatric Education Award
This award, established in 1988, is given to a psychiatric educator or team of educators to honor excellence in impactful psychiatric education that is further exemplified in an outstanding educational project or program. The award acknowledges innovative and exemplary psychiatric educators for their educational projects or programs—at the medical school, residency and faculty development levels, as well as for programs involved in educating non-psychiatrists and/or the general public about psychiatry.
The awardee will receive a $500 honorarium. The winner will also be invited to give a 45-minute presentation, including Q&A, at the meeting. This presentation is held Friday morning of the meeting.
Criteria for nomination for the AAP Psychiatric Education Award include evidence of excellence in education that is exemplified in an outstanding education project as described below.
The nominee will be a psychiatric educator recognized for:
- innovation or leadership
- associate or full professor, chair, dean or equivalent level
- long-term, sustained impact on psychiatric education
- national and/or international reputation in psychiatric education
The nominee’s recognized education project or curriculum will be recognized for:
- balance between innovation and generalizability (e.g., portable or reasonable to “take home”)
- impact on psychiatric education evaluation or outcome measures (e.g., satisfaction, change, or other)
Other requirements and information necessary for nomination include:
- Nominee (designer of the project/program) must be an AAP member
- Nominee’s name, title, institutional affiliation department’s name, address, phone, and email address
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae
- Project/program title, aim, and description (one page).
- Letter from the nominee’s department chair (or his/her designate) detailing a sustained body of work involving educational endeavors, techniques, or innovations as well as education/administrative duties at the local, national and international levels
- At least one additional letter of support from other faculty, residents, students, or CME program coordinators is required, but no more than four (4) will be accepted.
Thank you for your interest. Submissions for the 2023 Psychiatric Education Award are NOW OPEN! Please click here for the 2023 AAP Abstracts & Awards Submissions site. Please log in or create an account then click GO TO MY SUBMISSION DASHBOARD. At the bottom of the page you will see the box SUBMIT AAP AWARDS. Click that box, then go to the AAP Awards drop down box and select the Psychiatric Education Award. Complete and submit the award by clicking the orange SUBMIT PSYCHIATRIC EDUCATION AWARD at top of the page. YOU MUST CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUBMIT or it will only be saved. Applications for the 2023 Psychiatric Education Award will be accepted until April 1, 2023.
For additional inquiries, contact Iljie Fitzgerald, MD, Awards Committee Chair, at email@example.com.