Honor psychiatric educators who have supported medical students, residents and early career psychiatry faculty in their development as educators and who have, by their example, modeled academic careers in psychiatry and fostered others through mentorship.
The purpose of the Roberts Award is to honor psychiatric educators who have supported medical students, residents and early career psychiatry faculty in their development as educators and who have, by their example, modeled academic careers in psychiatry and fostered others through mentorship. Unlike the Educator Award, the Roberts Award stresses mentorship. This award is not targeted at leaders in educational innovation, but rather should be awarded to a loved teacher who served as an inspiration to others - the person who helped mold the development of others in psychiatry. Thus the focus is on the person's mentorship, ability to act as a role model and to inspire others. It can be awarded to a teacher at any level, and need not be a person in a senior position, however it is assumed that the awardee will have had sufficient teaching experience to merit this award.
The nominating person must be someone who has been mentored by the nominee. Letters of support from other people who have also been mentored by the nominee can also be submitted to strengthen the nomination.Membership in AAP is not required for either the nominator or the nominee. The award winner will receive complimentary AAP Annual Meeting registration and reimbursement for meeting-related transportation and hotel expenses.
- Nominator’s name, address, institutional affiliation, phone, and e-mail address
- Nominee's name, address, institutional affiliation, phone, and e-mail address
- Letter(s) of nomination must include examples demonstrating some or all of the following:
- Strength of Mentorship
- Breadth of Mentorship
- Strength of Leading by Example
- Degree of Inspiration
- Teaching Skills
- Mentoring in Education/Teaching
- Barriers the mentor helped you overcome
- Mentorship Qualities
- In 350 words or less, the nomination letter should tell the story of how you were inspired and mentored by this nominee in a life-changing manner.
- Current CV (nominee)
- Electronic submission required: Rob_info@academicpsychiatry.org. All materials must be included in a single email submission.
Deadline for submission: April 1, 2019 - NOW CLOSED!
For additional inquiries, contact Suzanne Murray, MD, Awards Committee Chair, at email@example.com.